Programming note: For the latest MLB Hot Stove news, tune in to SportsNet Central tonight at 6 p.m., 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area
After much deliberation, Jon Lester has agreed to a six-year deal with the Chicago Cubs, according to multiple national media reports.
Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Sources: Lester to #Cubs.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2014
Lester picked the Cubs over his former team, the Boston Red Sox.
Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan was the first to report that the winning bid came in at $155 million over six years.
Jon Lester, Cubs agree on six-year, $155M deal, sources tell Yahoo Sports. Red Sox are runners-up. Their final bid: six for $135M.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 10, 2014
Earlier on Tuesday, Lester called Giants' management to inform them that he wouldn't be signing with them.
Passan indicated after Lester agreed to the Cubs' offer that the Giants were willing to beat the Cubs offer if Lester wanted to go to San Francisco.
The San Francisco Giants were willing to go seven years, somewhere in the neighborhood of $168 million for Jon Lester. He took less money.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 10, 2014
Giants never did offer a seventh year, but there was an understanding that if Lester indicated he wanted SF, Giants would be at seven ~$168.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 10, 2014
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman refutes the claim that the Giants were willing to go to a seventh year, but states they would have tweaked their offer if Lester came back to them.
#SFGiants offered $150M for 6 yrs, told lester theyd consider tweaking a bit if he came back but wouldnt go 7.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 10, 2014
Giants GM Brian Sabean told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes that he never got to make his best offer.
Brian Sabean of Giants denied his team offered 7/168m: “Never got the chance to make our best offer,’’ he said.— Gordon Edes (@GordonEdes) December 10, 2014
In nine major league seasons, Lester is 116-67 with a 3.58 ERA.