Reports say at least three people have died after part of the stadium set to host the World Cup opening match in Brazil partially collapsed early Wednesday.
According to Sky Sports, the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paolo was 94 percent complete and reports say that a collapsing crane destroyed part of the stands.
There is a FIFA mandate that says all World Cup venues must be complete by December. Some construction sites have been said to be under construction on an everyday, every hour basis to meet the start of the competition.
Sport Club Corinthians, who own the stadium which will host a total of six World Cup matches, released a statement on the collapse:
“The board of Sport Club Corinthians Paulista hereby deeply regret the accident earlier in Corinthians Arena. No other information at this time.”
Another stadium in Brazil, the Arena Fonte Nova, had a roof collapse prior to the Confederations Cup in the summer.