Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig addressed the A’s ballpark situation Tuesday but was light on specifics regarding anything about the team’s future.
Speaking at the annual Baseball Writers Association of America luncheon, Selig expressed hope that the A’s 10-year lease extension to remain at the Coliseum finally gets approved. Approval from the Oakland City Council is believed to be the last hurdle to finalizing the lease, and the Council could make a decision as soon as Wednesday.
He did not specifically address why the committee he dispatched in March 2009 has taken so long to reveal its findings on the A’s options for a new ballpark in the Bay Area.
“It’s a very complex situation,” Selig said. “Right now, we want to get the lease situation satisfied in Oakland. That is the thing we’re trying to do right now. We worked hard at it and made significant progress, but as Yogi once said, ‘It ain’t over til it’s over.’ Hopefully, we will have that done. There are a lot of complicating things that have happened in that situation, and someway, somehow, it’ll be worked out. What the timetable is . . . it’s working it out in the right way and right situation.”
A’s co-owner Lew Wolff, speaking after Selig’s media session, told reporters that he’s confident that the 10-year lease extension would be approved Wednesday by the City Council. As he told CSN California last week, Wolff reiterated that he’s never had designs on moving the team to Montreal or San Antonio, and Selig called reports of any such possible move “beyond absurd.”
Addressing the fact that the Raiders are looking at potentially building a new stadium on the current Coliseum complex – an idea that also interests the A’s -- Wolff said: “I don’t think the Raiders are really behind any of (the problems of getting the lease approved). Their owner’s a nice guy, and I think they’re trying to do what we’re trying to do.”