The A’s are sending catcher John Jaso back to the Bay Area after a doctor’s visit showed that his concussion symptoms aren’t showing enough improvement.
Manager Bob Melvin told reporters that Jaso will stop baseball activity for the time being, and given that there are just 18 games left in the regular season, it’s unknown whether he’ll be back at all this season.
[RELATED: Gentry leaves game with concussion]
Jaso was examined Wednesday by Pittsburgh-based concussion specialist Dr. Michael Collins, who has treated Jaso since a previous concussion that he suffered last year ended his 2013 season early. Collins didn’t see enough progress in Jaso’s condition to clear him to come off the disabled list.
Jaso, who turns 31 on Sept. 19, took a foul tip off the mask in mid-August and went on the seven-day concussion D.L. on Aug. 24. He had recently started swinging the bat and running the bases but still needs to be cleared medically before he can play. Melvin has said that if and when Jaso does return, he would be used primarily as a pinch hitter.
The timetable for return for outfielder Craig Gentry, who suffered a concussion himself in a collision on the bases Tuesday, is unclear. Melvin said only that Gentry was unavailable for Wednesday night’s game against the Chicago White Sox.
In other news, closer Sean Doolittle (strained right intercostal) threw 20 pitches with hitters standing in and came out of it well. If he feels good Thursday, there’s a strong chance he gets activated from the D.L. for Friday’s opener of a critical three-game series at Seattle.