Receiver James Jones won’t be the Raiders’ only post-draft casualty. Linebacker Miles Burris will be released as well.
A source said Monday morning that Burris has been cut, supporting a heartfelt goodbye to Raider Nation on his Instagram page.
As of Monday morning, the Raiders have not announced the Burris or Jones transactions.
Burris started all 16 games at middle linebacker last season after Nick Roach was lost for the year with concussion-like symptoms. He had 109 tackles in 2014 and improved as the year went on, but he played out of position and was exposed at times.
Burris was a maximum-effort player completely committed to his craft, but was a step slow in coverage and was a liability at times on defense. Burris missed most of 2013 with a knee injury, but unexpectedly made 15 starts over Rolando McClain.
The Raiders added significant linebacker depth in last week’s draft. General manager Reggie McKenzie selected Kansas middle linebacker Ben Heeney and Florida’s Neiron Ball in the fifth round, making Burris expendable.
Burris was one of just two remaining members general manager Reggie McKenzie’s first draft class. Only his first-pick, third-round guard Tony Bergstrom remains. Bergstrom was healthy last year but was inactive for all 16 games. Burris had one year remaining on his rookie contract
Burris, a Granite Bay native said his goodbye to the Raiders here:
Nothing but respect and love for the Oakland Raiders. Grateful for the opportunity they gave me. Grew up coming to Raider games as a kid and got to live my dream of playing in the same stadium for the team closest to my hometown. I'm thankful to everyone in the organization and all my teammates. This is goodbye to Oakland but I'm not done yet. My story will be one of victory, not by my own strength but God's great grace. I serve a great God, his name is Jesus! #farewell #raidernation #oaktown #oncearaideralwaysaraider #trustingod