Report: NFLPA investigating Pryor concussion
Share This Post

The NFL Players Association is investigating the Terrelle Pryor concussion case to determine if the Raiders followed NFL protocol in diagnosing the head trauma during Monday night’s game at Denver.

Fox Sports first reported the news early Wednesday morning. An NFLPA spokesman declined comment on the reported probe into the circumstances surrounding Pryor’s injury. The issue is the timing of Pryor’s diagnosis following a violent collision between Pryor and Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard on a designed run between the tackles in the fourth quarter.

[BAIR: Pryor on Woodyard: 'He should be fined']

Pryor was involved in two more snaps before he was escorted off the field by medical personnel. Raiders coach Dennis Allen spoke to Pryor following the incident, while the play was reviewed for a possible fumble and a subsequent timeout. The controversy centers on Pryor being allowed to return to the field and playing two extra snaps until the possession was lost on downs.

[BAIR: Pryor not at practice; Porter, Sio Moore return]

Pryor was pulled for good after that drive and was later diagnosed with a concussion.

Pryor didn’t have a problem with how he was handled, and can understand how the team didn’t sense trouble immediately.

“It was a delayed reaction to everything that happened,” said Pryor, who was cleared for conditioning and team meetings but nothing else. “I was still able to go. It looked like I was functioning when I watched the tape, so I could understand why they didn’t see anything. There was a review and a timeout and I was fine. They were asking me. There was definitely a delayed reaction.”

Allen maintained his original stance, which CSN California reported on Tuesday, that the Raiders followed NFL protocol. Allen said the NFLPA hasn’t spoken to him and that he doesn’t expect fault to be found during the union probe.

[RELATED: Allen content with how Raiders handled Pryor concussion]

“I feel confident that we followed the protocol and did what we were supposed to do,” Allen said. “I think we all understand the emphasis placed on player safety, specifically on this regard. We don’t ever want to put a player out there and put him in danger. We’re going to follow it and do what we’re supposed to do. It’s really a matter of, when the medical personnel feel like he’s fine and he’s cleared to practice and play, then he’ll be out there.”