Buster Posey came up short in his quest for a Gold Glove, but he has been named Wilson's 2015 Defensive Player of the Year at catcher. The award-winners were announced Wednesday afternoon on MLB Network.
The Giants catcher was the leader in defensive runs saved and other advanced metrics for his position, according to Baseball Reference, despite playing 42 games at first base and three at DH.
Posey was edged by the Cardinals' Yadier Molina for a 2015 Gold Glove. Molina won the award for an eighth-consecutive year.
[RELATED: Four Giants among Gold Glove finalists]
Teammate Brandon Crawford, who took home his first career Gold Glove on Tuesday, did not receive Wilson's annual award at shortstop. The honor instead went to the Braves' Andrelton Simmons, who was also named Wilson's overall Defensive Player of the Year this season.
The full list of award-winners:
- (P) Jacob deGrom – New York Mets
- (C) Buster Posey – San Francisco Giants
- (1B) Paul Goldschmidt – Arizona Diamondbacks
- (2B) Dee Gordon – Miami Marlins
- (3B) Nolan Arenado – Colorado Rockies
- (SS) Andrelton Simmons – Atlanta Braves
- (LF) Starling Marte – Pittsburgh Pirates
- (CF) Kevin Pillar – Toronto Blue Jays
- (RF) Jason Heyward – St. Louis Cardinals