Still riding high after one of the greatest World Series pitching performances of all-time, San Francisco Giants ace and Series MVP Madison Bumgarner’s jersey is the most popular for fans around the globe. Bumgarner, 25, appears for the first time on the most popular player jersey list and leads a crop of charismatic and talented young All-Stars.
Rookie slugger Kris Bryant of the Chicago Cubs also makes his debut appearance on the most popular player jersey list, holding onto the second slot, after a mere three months in the majors. The 23-year-old Bryant, who leads all rookies with 54 RBI, earns the highest ranking of a rookie on this list since MLB and the MLBPA began releasing jerseys sales rankings in 2010.
Following Bumgarner and Bryant on the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, is Buster Posey (#3), Clayton Kershaw (#4) and Bryce Harper (#5). Six of the top 10 players on the current list are 26 years of age or younger.
The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com/shop, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, between Opening Day 2015 and the 2015 All-Star Game.
In addition to the jerseys of Bumgarner and Bryant making their debut on the list, Cincinnati Reds third baseman Todd Frazier and Washington Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer also have their jerseys in the top-20 for the first time. Players representing 12 different Clubs make up the top 20 most popular player jerseys, which includes eight infielders, four outfielders, two catchers, five pitchers and one DH.
MLB Most Popular Player Jerseys – 2015 First Half
1. Madison Bumgarner, San Francisco Giants
2. Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
3. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
4. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
5. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
6. Hunter Pence, San Francisco Giants
7. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
8. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
9. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
10. Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
11. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
12. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
13. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
14. Felix Hernandez, Seattle Mariners
15. Todd Frazier, Cincinnati Reds
16. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
17. David Wright, New York Mets
18. Albert Pujols, Los Angeles Angels
19. Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
20. Adrian Gonzalez, Los Angeles Dodgers