The Pablo Sandoval sweepstakes are heating up, and the Giants believe they are very much in the mix to retain the 2012 World Series MVP.
"We feel like there's a continued mutual interest," San Francisco assistant general manager Bobby Evans told KNBR 680-AM on Thursday morning. "I think Pablo is doing what any good free agent would do, in the sense of looking at his options ... I think that as they formulate the sense of what the market is, we'll get a better sense of where we stand.
"But every indication is that we're well in this thing. I think there's a strong desire to come back, but I think he has to be comfortable with what his other options are before he can define that for us."
A report surfaced on Wednesday claiming that there was a 90 percent chance Sandoval would sign with the Red Sox, and a 10 percent chance he would ink a deal with the Blue Jays.
The Giants were allegedly never Sandoval's first choice, the report stated.
[PANDA WATCH: The latest on Pablo Sandoval]
"Nothing has happened that would make us feel more concerned," Evans declared. "I think in some ways, we're getting more clarity...
"My sense is that he's going to give us every opportunity ... I think he wants to give us every opportunity to keep him here."
When does Evans think Sandoval will make his decision?
"I sense that Pablo is edging towards trying to wrap this up ... My sense is that he's interested in narrowing this down or finalizing this sooner than later ... I think before Thanksgiving."
On Tuesday, BayAreaSportsGuy.com reported that the Giants offered Sandoval a 5-year, $90 million contract, the same deal the club gave Hunter Pence in September, 2013.
"I'm not able to confirm any offers because of the fact that I don't want to give any advantage to any club," Evans said. "I don't think (Sandoval's agent Gustavo Vasquez) is shopping our offer. He's given me no indication that he's gonna shop our offer. He's given me an idea of what they're hoping for and ultimately he'll measure what he's hoping for versus every offer that he gets."