San Francisco 49ers star player Aldon Smith, who faces felony weapons charges and a misdemeanor DUI, had his court appearance Tuesday in Santa Clara Superior Court rescheduled for May 12.
Earlier in the day, the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office told CSNBayArea.com that it has requested more information from law enforcement before determine whether to file formal charges against Smith stemming from an incident at Los Angeles International Airport.
While there appears to be no imminent resolution to Smith’s legal issues, the 49ers must make a decision about his football future by Saturday. The 49ers have a deadline this weekend to decide whether to pick up a fifth-year option that would pay Smith $9.754 million in 2015.
When CSNBayArea.com asked Friday if the 49ers would have enough information by that date to make a decision, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke answered, ““I don’t know we’re ever going to have enough information. You never have enough, do you?”
Smith faces a possible misdemeanor charge of making a false report of a bomb threat, stemming from an incident on April 13 at Los Angeles International Airport. Frank Mateljan of the L.A. City Attorney’s office said he did not believe the delay has anything to do with the cases against Smith in Santa Clara County.
“We want to do our due diligence to make sure no stone is left unturned,” Mateljan said. “We’re waiting on that follow-up from law enforcement. When it’s all in we’ll have a better picture of what actually went down and we’ll be able to make the decision after that.”