Editor’s note: It’s time for the NFL Draft! Bookmark our Road to the Draft for live trackers, video, position breakdowns, retrospectives, mock drafts and more
SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers entered the NFL Draft with 11 scheduled draft picks. Surprisingly, they ended up making 12 selections.
They addressed their nickel pass coverage in the first round with the selection of safety Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois. And on Day 3, the 49ers picked up cornerbacks Dontae Johnson (North Carolina State), Keith Reaser (Florida Atlantic) and Kenneth Acker (SMU).
The other big needs for the 49ers entering the draft were wide receiver and outside linebacker. The 49ers acquired veteran Stevie Johnson in a trade with the Buffalo Bills on Friday. Then, they selected speedster Bruce Ellington of South Carolina in the fourth round. The 49ers selected talented pass-rusher Aaron Lynch (South Florida) in the fifth round.
Here’s a look at the 49ers’ entire 2014 draft:
1. First round, No. 30: S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
2. Second round, No. 57: RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
3. Third round, No. 70: C Marcus Martin, USC
4. Third round, No. 77: ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin
5. Third round, No. 100: G Brandon Thomas, Clemson
6. Fourth round, No. 106: WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
7. Fourth round, No. 129: CB Dontae Johnson, North Carolina State
8. Fifth round, No. 150: OLB Aaron Lynch, South Florida
9. Fifth round, No. 170: CB Keith Reaser, Florida Atlantic
10. Sixth round, No. 180: CB Kenneth Acker, SMU
11. Seventh round, No. 243: DE Kaleb Ramsey, Boston College
12. Seventh round, No. 245: FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma